Epiphone was originally founded in Turkey in 1873, as a musical instrument manufacturer, by Anastasios Stathopoulos. Fiddles and Lutes were the original instruments produced by the company. It wasn't until 1928 that Epiphone produced its first guitar, after Anastasios had moved the company to America in 1903. In 1957 Epiphone was taken over by Gibson, their main rival at the time.
Today Epiphone produces both acoustic and electric guitars, aimed at the lower to middle of the market, whilst its parent company, Gibson, produces instruments aimed at the middle to high end of the market. A number of the Gibson guitars produced today have more affordable Epiphone versions.
Below are some of the artists who play Epiphone guitars:
There are also a number of Gibson artists who have Epiphone signature model guitars. These include:
Latest Guitarist Videos
- YESTERDAY (The Beatles) - Luca Stricagnoli - Reversed Slide Neck Cover
- SMOOTH CRIMINAL (Michael Jackson) on Triple Neck Guitar - Luca Stricagnoli
- Joe Bonamassa - 'A Conversation With Alice' (Live) - Now Serving: Royal Tea Live From The Ryman
- Ed Sheeran - Visiting Hours [Official Performance Video]
- Everybody (Backstreet Boys) - Luca Stricagnoli