Integrated Development Environments
An Integrated Development Environment, or IDE for short, is a piece of software that provides a means to create software and web applications. They generally include a source code editor, for programming purposes, a compiler where needed, for building an application and debugging tools, to aid in the resolution of bugs or problems with an application.
There are many IDEs available, some of which are designed for specific web technologies, whereas others are more general purpose. Below is a selection of a small number of the IDEs available.
Microsoft Visual Studio
As well as the full version of Visual Studio, Microsoft also provide a Community Edition, which is free for non-commercial use, and a completely free and open source version called Visual Studio Code.
How Tos and Useful Stuff
- Visual Studio on Stuart's Computing Corner.
- WebPack For Visual Studio developers.
- Code snippets on Windows.
- Code snippets on Mac.
Adobe Dreamweaver is software used by web designers and developers for creating websites and mobile applications. It provides the facility to work in design view, where the user can, for example, type text content or place an image, and the HTML code is generated automatically. Alternatively, the user can work in code view and manually enter code, such as HTML, to generate a web page.
How Tos and Useful Stuff
- Adobe Help.
- Define a site in Dreamweaver.
- Build responsive websites in Dreamweaver CC.
- Publish and manage websites.
- Preview web designs.
- How to edit HTML tags.
- Edit CSS properties visually.
- Develop responsive and mobile sites.
- How to create a web form.
- Dreamweaver CC: PSD to HTML and CSS.
- The correct way to import Word docs into Dreamweaver HTML.
- How to design, edit, and preview web pages with new Live View features.
- Learn how to place images in your web designs using HTML and CSS.
- How to code HTML5 and CSS faster.
- Establishing a Dreamweaver CC and WordPress workflow.
- Designing WordPress child themes with Dreamweaver CC.
Oracle Application Express
Oracle Application Express, or APEX for short, is a web based application development environment for use with an Oracle Database, from version 9.2 onwards and is installed as standard, at no extra cost, with Oracle Database 11g onwards. It can be used to produce complex database driven web applications for use with most modern web browsers.
In order to help the user get started with APEX development, there are 35 sample applications included, which can be used as a starting point to help speed up the development process.